HighCourtfrom the High Court of Australia

The two large paintings which face each other on the landing outside Court 3 of the High Court building in Canberra represent two significant events in the life of the High Court. Marcus Beilby's painting represents the first sitting of the Court in Melbourne on 6 October 1903.

Robert Hannaford's painting is of a full court sitting in Canberra on 29 April 2003. The Court first sat in 1903 despite being established in 1901 by s 71 of the Commonwealth Constitution, because legislation was needed for the running of the Court. This was achieved with the proclamation of the Judiciary Act 1903 (Cth) and the High Court Procedure Act 1903 (Cth).

read the entire article here

Category: News